Visa and Immigration FAQ: Your Guide to Australian Visa Applications

Welcome to the iBlog FAQ page for Australian Immigration and Visas! Whether you’re a New Zealand citizen or currently in New Zealand, we’ve got you covered. Below, you’ll find answers to the most frequently asked questions. So, let’s dive in!

I am a NZ Citizen – Do I Need a Visa to Enter Australia?

Most New Zealand citizens entering Australia on a New Zealand passport can take advantage of the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement. Under this arrangement, no visa application is required. Instead, upon arrival in Australia, you’ll be granted a Special Category Visa (subclass 444) (SCV), as long as you meet specific health and character requirements. This visa allows you to remain and work in Australia indefinitely.

Read more  An Insider's Guide to Experiencing Uluru: The Ultimate Time to Visit

Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement

I am a NZ Citizen and Have a Criminal Conviction History – What Forms Do I Complete?

If you have criminal convictions in New Zealand, regardless of when they occurred or whether they’ve been removed from government records, it’s recommended to complete the New Zealand passport holders travelling with a criminal conviction – online enquiry form on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Criminal Convictions

I am a NZ Citizen – Can I Become an Australian Citizen?

From July 1, 2023, changes to citizenship eligibility for some New Zealand citizens holding a Special Category (subclass 444) visa will apply. For more information on this direct pathway to Australian citizenship, please refer to our iBlog page.

Do NZ Citizens Require a Maritime Crew Visa (MCV) if Traveling to Australia as Crew on a Non-Military Ship?

If you’re a New Zealand citizen eligible for a Special Category visa (subclass 444) on arrival, you do not need a Maritime Crew Visa (MCV). Please refer to our iBlog page for more details.

I am a NZ Citizen and My Partner is Not – Which Visa(s) Can My Partner Apply For?

The New Zealand citizen family relationship (temporary) visa (subclass 461) allows family members of a Special Category Visa holder to live, work, and study in Australia temporarily. Learn more about this visa and explore other options using our iBlog page.

If I am a Citizen of Another Country (Not New Zealand) – Which Visa(s) Can I Apply For?

You can find detailed information about visa options for Australia on the Department’s website. The visa finder tool provides suitable visa options based on your information, including visitors, transit, work, study, and permanent migration. Check our iBlog page for more details.

Read more  Australian Visa for Thai Girlfriend

Can I Apply Online?

The Department encourages online applications as the default form of delivery, offering more efficient and effective services. Complete a number of services online without directly contacting the department. For eligible services and more information, please visit our iBlog page.

Online Application

I Have Technical Problems with ImmiAccount – Who Can Help?

If you’re experiencing technical issues with ImmiAccount, please check the Frequently Asked Questions and Quick Reference Guides available on the Department’s website. If you still require support, complete the ImmiAccount Technical Support Form provided on our iBlog page.

How Long Will It Take to Process My Application?

The Department publishes processing time service standards for all visa and citizenship products. Keep in mind that the processing times listed are aspirational and actual processing times may vary. For more information on service standards, please visit our iBlog page.

Can My Application Be Processed Faster?

Applications are generally processed in date order, but in exceptional cases, processing can be expedited based on compelling and compassionate circumstances. Submit a written statement and evidence outlining your circumstances to your case officer. Please note that there is no guarantee of prioritization. More details are available on our iBlog page.

Do I Need a Visa Label in My Passport?

No, Australian visas are recorded electronically. You can provide evidence of your authority to travel, enter, and/or remain in Australia by showing your passport linked to your electronic visa record. For more information, check our iBlog page.

Do I Need to Have a Return Ticket to Travel to Australia?

While there’s no requirement for a return ticket, Australian border officers should be satisfied that visitors, working holiday makers, and temporary residents intend to depart before their visa expires. It’s advisable to carry a copy of your bank statement to demonstrate sufficient funds for departure. Visit our iBlog page for more details.

Read more  Your Essential Travel Checklist for the USA

Do I Need a Migration Agent?

A migration agent is not necessary to apply for an Australian visa. Engaging a migration agent doesn’t guarantee a faster outcome. If you wish to use an agent, ensure they are registered with the office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). More information is available on our iBlog page.

How Many Months Validity Do I Need on My Passport to Travel to Australia?

Passports should be valid to cover immediate travel arrangements only. Visa validity takes into consideration the passport’s validity. For more details, check our iBlog page.


For more frequently asked questions, please refer to our iBlog page.


We hope this FAQ article has provided the answers you were seeking. If you have further inquiries or need assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help you navigate the Australian immigration and visa process.

Australian Immigration

Related Articles

Back to top button